Tuesday, August 23, 2016

 photo post-mark.png

Beauty As Well As Bread

Beauty As Well As Bread

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul. 
-John Muir

Yellowstone National Park is one of my favorite places to visit. It is a place that does heal and give strength to my soul. This pour of Yellowstone Canyon took me the past couple of weeks to complete. I chose to do 7 layers of pours and was really nervous about how it would turn out. Masking all those layers seemed confusing at times. I had to get up and walk away from the painting when I started to go cross-eyed.
I usually stick to 3 colors when I pour but decided to add an extra color - quinacridone sienna. It helped give the canyon walls a nice earthy color, yet keep the vibrancy that I enjoy when I paint.  I also chose to use both the red shade and the green shade of the phthalo blue. I started out with the red shade but decided my greens were becoming too dull so switch to the green shade. Plus the green shade worked better for the water.  I have to say that I really am quite please with it.


Barb Baillie said...

Wow. That is gorgeous Leslie!

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

this is just gorgeous :D love all the colours

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Thanks Barb! It is my new favorite.

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Thanks Jennifer. I'm glad you think so.

Pat said...

Gorgeous watercolour. You've captured quite a majestic feeling here.

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Thank you Pat. I really hope so.

Marcela Strasdas said...

Beautiful Leslie! You did capture the sense of space and bigness :)

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Thanks Marcela! I hope I did. I might need to go bigger next time though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme