Wednesday, February 1, 2012

 photo post-mark.png

Flores de la ventana #3

Pour #3

After pour #2 dried, I then masked more on my painting. 
I work from a black and white photograph when I do my masking. 
It is easier to see the values that way.
With pouring, I end up with 5-6 different values.
The first mask was the whites that I wanted to save.
The next mask was the next lightest value.
The third mask is a mid scale value.
The fourth mask will be a dark value (but not quite black)
At that point I can choose to mask again and pour my blacks or pull up the masking fluid paint the darkest darks.

For pour #3, after I have masked my mid values as well as the red flowers (I want to save them as is).
I mixed up my paint with more concentrated pigment.
I wet the painting again and I used an eye dropper to drop the color in where I want it and move the board around to let the color flow. Then I let it dry.
The above photo is the result of this pour after it has dried.


Studio at the Farm said...

The colors are becoming so lush, Leslie. You are definitely tempting me into trying a poured painting, but I'll either have to wait for warmer weather, or do it in the bathtub!! [THAT brings some weird images to mind!]

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Yes! Do try it! It is soooo much fun. The bathtub could be interesting. Colorful bubbles!

Gillian Olson said...

The colours are developing beautifully, I can hardly wait to see the finished product Leslie. Hope your day has improved from this morning.

Steven said...

Looks like you're using the off-white variety masking fluid? Ever use the clear type? Thanks! This is looking great!

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Yes, Steven, I do use the masking fluid with the slight yellow tint (Winsor & Newton). I find it is easier to see. I have used the clear mask and there is nothing wrong with it. The clear is harder to find where I live though.

Steven said...

Yeah, I was wondering if it was just a process thing.... i.e. would clear make it easier to see what the final piece will look like versus W&N variety.

This is inspiring! And you're so generous to share technique.

I'm having a go at a really small piece which I started yesterday... it's making my head hurt, planning, masking, waiting for the pour to dry!

It's exciting though. :)

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Steven, I am not sure if it would make it easier to see. Please let me know if it does.
Yes, my head will hurt at times and I tend to grind my teeth when I mask. When I realize I am doing that, I go make myself a cup of tea and look at my blog. (like now) Then I am able to go back to it.

William J.Taylor said...

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he just bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme