Wednesday, May 18, 2011

 photo post-mark.png

WIP- Yellow Iris

Work in Progress- Yellow Iris
22x30"

I don't usually like to show my work in progress (unless it is a pour) but I have been working on this iris for the past few weeks. I don't know what I was thinking by doing a yellow iris this big but I must say that I love the composition.
Sometimes when I am in a middle of a painting and I feel stuck, I will photograph it. By seeing it smaller and on the computer screen, I get a fresh perspective. Then I figure out what to do next and where to go from there. I know I need to go darker with my shadows in some areas but how to do it is always the question with yellow. Is the shadow more red or more blue? Do I want it more orange or more green? The good news is that an area I was having a problem with doesn't look as bad as I thought.
The other problem is a name. Any suggestions?

14 comments:

Carrie'sCreations said...

It's absolutely stunning!! Yellow can be tricky and you've handled it beautifully. I love how delicate the flower is. Wish I could help with the title, I always seem to have a creative block when it comes to that:( If I think of anything I'll let you know:)

Nancy Goldman said...

When I first looked at this, I thought it was finished. Of course, on closer inspection I can see that you will probably be making the other petals yellow but I really like them white too. I can't wait to see it finished.

Carol Blackburn said...

My oh my, Leslie.....this is so beautiful. If this is still a WIP I can't imagine how it will be finished. I know you will find an appropriate title that will do it justice.

Susan Roden said...

Exquisite Leslie!

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

What great comments! Thank you! It is so encouraging esp since I found myself overwhelmed by this painting. Nancy, the white will stay white. I think I just need to make a few of the shadows on the yellow a bit richer before it is complete. Hopefully soon.

meera said...

Really beautiful! can't wait to see it finished!

Studio at the Farm said...

It truly is a beauty, Leslie!! The flower glows.

Jane said...

Yellow perfection is the title!! Absolutely gorgeous.

Karen said...

Leslie, This is beautiful and I can't believe it is a WIP

Ria Krishnan said...

Love the way you paint Iris...they look full of life.

Wendy Mould said...

I love the yellow, it really glows. I can understand that it was a challenge as somehow yellow has a life of its own. I know the title will come to you, sometimes you just have to be patient.

Wendy Wright said...

Soooo super beautiful Leslie! Thank you for sharing your WIP with us. Unfortunately, I cannot think of a name but I am sure you will come up with something awesome! :)

Leslie Redhead Watercolors said...

Thank you for all the lovely comments. The title is now down to several choices including yellow perfection. I have also considered calling it Victory if I can ever conquer this yellow.

Anonymous said...

"Fantasy Gem"? (it's real name is in the Gem series).
The final yellow Iris is beautiful!
C.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme